We all know that there going green and living a more sustainable life is beneficial for the planet and the right thing to do, but let's face it, shrinking the size of your eco footprint takes some work. An app called Joulebug seeks to make greening your life a more enjoyable experience and to help people discover ways to live more sustainably. I put it to the test recently and was impressed with it!
Basically, Joulebug is a green app, a game and a social experience at once. When you register for an account, the app gives you challenges to complete, and each one helps you to make your lifestyle and your home greener. As you complete challenges, you earn achievements that are posted on your profile and that you can share on social media. You can also challenge friends to competitions.
image source: http://joulebug.com
Pros of Joulebug
- Cost. Joulebug is available for free and there does not appear to be any in-app purchases.
- Simplicity. Joulebug is very easy to use, and the app is beautifully designed.
- Informative. What I like most about Joulebug is that it actually shows you the benefits of each challenge in a clear way. For example, one challenge told me to turn the lights off when I leave the room and then explained that I would save $4 per year and save enough energy to power my refrigerator for 136 days.
- Enjoyable. I had fun exploring the challenges and completing them. I could see myself continuing to use the app.
Cons of Joulebug
- Social Component Needed. I think for this app to really be exciting you'd need to use it with friends. That's a little bit of a drawback for someone who just wants a green app they can do on their own when they have time.
- Some Tips Are Simple. A lot of the challenges are very simple things that most people would know to do on their own; however, the app does give you the incentive to actually do them. Plus, it's nice to see how those small tasks can make a big impact on the size of your eco footprint.
Overall, Joulebug is a great app for anyone who wants a little extra motivation to be green. The fact that it's free makes it well worth taking for a spin to see if you like it. You can download it from the Apple App store or Google Play store.