Thanksgiving is that special time of the year when we remember to be thankful! Thankful for our family, friends and of course for our planet! With the countless meals and family gatherings this holiday season, it is easy to generate a lot of waste. Here are some great tips that will help you create an eco-friendly Thanksgiving! Let's celebrate how thankful we are for the planet by utilizing these simple ways to save it!
1) Use environmentally friendly decorations. Gourds, pumpkins and pinecones can be used to create beautiful centerpieces for your Thanksgiving table. Creating these centerpieces can be a fun activity that the whole family can enjoy.
2) When shopping for your Thanksgiving meal, try to shop locally if possible. Contact your local butcher and ask about purchasing a USDA certified organic, free-range turkey this holiday season. This is a great way to support sustainable farming and your local economy. Eatwellguide.org is a great way to find local restaurants, food stores and farms in your area that carry certified organic products.
3) Serve dessert or appetizers in this adorable set by Yumi Eco Solutions. This eco-friendly tray features 6 removal teardrop-serving pieces that can be used together or independently. This tray is a great way to serve snacks to guests and can be used for hot or cold foods!
4) At Paperless Kitchen, we offer countless ways for you to still utilize the disposable option without harming the environment. We carry a variety of eco-friendly cups, plates, bowls, trays and utensils! Consider using our Leafware Dinnerware or Susty Party Supplies this holiday season. The Leafware Party Pack is especially perfect for large family gatherings!
5) Setting the table isn’t complete without napkins for your guests but this year ditch the paper napkins and switch to an eco-friendly alternative. The cloth napkins by MyDrap will perfectly complete your place settings and wow your guests, especially when they hear that they're using disposable napkins. The MyDrap napkins may feel just like ordinary lightweight cloth napkins but these handy disposables are completely biodegradable and also recyclable. Clean up is quick, easy and guilt free with this disposable option!
6) Serve your meal on these eco-friendly Trivets by Toockies. These beautiful Trivets are woven by hand from 100 percent organic jute. They are beautiful, elegant and best of all eco-friendly!
7) Clean up is easy with Paperless Kitchen! With the Bambooee Perforated Bamboo Towels you can skip the ordinary paper towels for this eco-friendly, reusable alternative. Made from certified organic bamboo, a sustainable source, the Bambooee Towels are also strong, absorbent and durable.
8) Have a designated recycling bin for guests! This makes it easy for them to properly recycle your eco-friendly dinnerware and napkins.
9) Consider dimming the lights this Thanksgiving and using soy candles to light your Thanksgiving meal. We recommend Mrs. Myers Soy Candle in Iowa Pine. Not only will it help save on electricity but it offers your guests an intimate setting to enjoy this special time with family and friends!
10) Have a happy, beautiful and sustainable Thanksgiving!!
Happy Thanksgiving From Paperless Kitchen!!!
November 23, 2014
I hadn’t seen that “dim the lights” tip before when looking up how to have a green Thanksgiving, intriguing idea. Instead of the bamboo disposable towels, how about using some good ol’ washable cloth towels? Less waste, more durable!